The Greenhouse at Emmaus is our botanical wonderland – a garden shop with a difference found in the conservatory at the back of the Secondhand Superstore.
Here you’ll find a vast selection of indoor and outdoor plants as well as all manner of gardening treasures donated by our supporters - plant pots, gardening books, tools, furniture, wellies, vases, gnomes and other plant-themed bric-a-brac as well as a huge selection of faux flowers – all at bargain prices. Many of the plants are grown lovingly onsite in our polytunnel.
The Greenhouse regularly hosts botanical-themed craft workshops – where members of the public pay a reduced price to learn how to make things such as terrariums and macramé plant hangers or how to draw botanical illustration - with all proceeds going to support our community. Head to the Emmaus Brighton facebook page for more details.
As well as our garden shop and polytunnel, the Greenhouse project also boasts a community allotment and a popular seed swap drawer, where members of the public can place unwanted seeds and swap them with others for free.
Donations of all good quality gardening items and plants are welcome and collection is available for larger items.
Volunteer with us in The Greenhouse
We are looking for people with horticultural expertise to help us look after our plants:
- Caring for indoor and outdoor plants in our polytunnel
- Optimising production of home-grown veg on our community allotment
- Helping us water in the warmer months
And for a couple of special projects
- Food waste experts to advise us on composting
- A wildflower expert to advise us on growing a meadow
- Cactus enthusiasts to help us care for and propagate the many donated cacti we receive
- A floral artist to create us an artificial flower arch for our entrance (we have the flowers but not the skills!)
- Crafters to create garden-themed items for us to sell
If you can regularly spare 3 or more hours a week, or think you can help us with one of our projects we’d love to hear from you.
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org